NEW! Oil painting remains the most versatile of the painting media. This course is suitable for all levels, from beginners to the more advanced and/or those used to other paint mediums who wish to broaden their experience.
We will look at:
– Use and preparation of grounds (e.g. canvas, boards, etc) for painting upon, and mediums
with which to paint
– Brushes, palette knives and other methods of application
– Colour theory and mixing
– Quick studies/wet in wet, and longer pieces/wet on dry
– Grisaille painting and glazing
– Working with a limited palette of colours
– Working from photographs
– Working in the style of past maters
– There will be set projects and also time to work on
For the first class bring a selection of oil brushes (e.g. size 4, 6, 8 and 10), a medium like linseed oil, a brush cleaner like Zest-it/Sansodor, a palette (wooden or tear-off), an empty jam jar or sealable glass jar, and something to paint on like a canvas or canvas board.
Plus a selection of oil paints – the following will be sufficient: