Drawing : Learning to Draw
|Tony Swann||Monday evening||7.30 to 9.30|
These classes are designed to help you learn to look, analyse and respond in the form of drawing. Everyone can draw but often lack the tools, approaches and techniques that give you the confidence to do it. The aim is to give you these things and the key – surprisingly enough – is by keeping things simple.
To help do this we will look at the basics of drawing:
- Different materials; pencil, charcoal, conte and others
- Line drawing; including cross-hatching to move towards tone
- Tonal drawing; using tone to create volume, space and atmosphere
- Using imaginary lines to help locate and place objects in their proper relationship with each other
- Composition; learn to use balance, flow and tension
- Perspective; a basic guide to a complex problem solved!
For the first class bring along any medium (eg pencils, charcoal etc) that you’ve used before and/or feel most comfortable with. If you’re not sure just bring along a selection of pencils (eg HB, 2B, 4B and 6B) and don’t forget a rubber and pencil sharpener! Please also bring a pad of cartridge paper (preferably A2 or A3 size).